Loss of teeth can be very disheartening for people as they significantly affect their appearance. Teeth can be lost due to many reasons like cavities, gum diseases, trauma, and old age. But with major advent in science and technology, these issues can be easily resolved.
There are many options available for people who have experienced the loss of teeth. These include dental implants, dental bridges, full dentures, etc. The best choice for you depends on a lot of factors that will be decided by your dentist based on your personal situation and expectations.
In this article, we will discuss dental bridges and dental implants, the difference between them, and which is best suited for which situation.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye
1. When Do You Need a Dental Implant?
Dental implant is a component that is put into your jaw bone/ gum into which the upper prosthetic tooth is attached.
Dental implants are a very good option for people who are missing a single tooth or multiple teeth but at different locations in the jaw. For such missing teeth, individual dental implants have to be fitted into the jaw bone because a dental bridge or full dentures might not be suitable for such people.
Dental implants can also be used in conjunction with dental bridges if the side teeth are not available to fix the abutment teeth. Initially, dental implants will be placed at the ends of the gap and then the dental bridge will be fixed over these two prosthetic teeth.
Placement of dental implants is a surgical procedure and has complications like the risk of infection, bleeding, etc.
2. When Do You Need a Dental Bridge?
A dental bridge is used to fill up the gaps in your smile. A dental bridge is made up of one or more false teeth (the teeth that are missing and need to be replaced) which are bordered by two abutment teeth that are used to fix the bridge in the gums. These abutment teeth are like caps that are fixed over two bordering teeth of the gap.
A dental bridge is a very good option for people who have more than one missing tooth in succession because this has the ability to cover the entire gap with a single bridge, unlike dental implants that are required individually for every missing tooth.
The only thing that is required for a dental bridge is that the gap of missing teeth should be bordered by two normal teeth. These will provide the structure for fixing the abutment teeth of the dental bridge.
There are various types of dental bridges and the choice of the dental bridge will be made by a combined decision of you and your dentist.
3. Dental Implant vs Dental Bridge :-
Both dental implants and dental bridges have shown good results in people but both of these have their own pros and cons which we will discuss in this section. The choice between the two will depend on your specific situation.
Pros of Dental Bridges :-
- Dental bridges do not require any major surgery like bone grafting which is required with dental implants.
- Dental bridge is usually a cheaper alternative as compared to dental implants.
- Dental bridges usually require less number of visits to the dentists when compared with dental implants.
Cons of Dental Bridges :-
- Dental bridges do not last for a very long time and have to be replaced in about 5 to 7 years.
- These are made up of porcelain which loses its natural looking texture over the years.
- The teeth surrounding the dental bridges become more susceptible to cavities and decay.
Pros of Dental Implants :-
- Dental implants have long lasting results and a dental implant can be used for up to 15 years.
- These have a natural looking appearance for a longer period of time as compared to dental bridges.
- Dental implants do not usually damage the teeth around it and hence are safer.
Cons of Dental Implants :-
- The procedure of getting dental implants takes much longer than a dental bridge.
- This is a more expensive procedure as compared to dental bridges.
- Since this consists of major surgical procedures, this can lead to postoperative problems like infection, bleeding, etc.
This was an article with very brief information about dental implants and dental bridges with main points of comparison between them. For further information, contact a qualified professional who will be able to guide you better.
At 32 Dental Solutions,you will get the right suggestion as per your concern.