Many people lose their teeth due to various reasons, such as dental infections, gum diseases, and more. However, our teeth are essential for eating and speaking properly. In addition, teeth help break down our food into smaller parts which aid in digestion. Losing teeth due to various causes can affect a person’s life in many negative ways. Some people tend to lose their self-esteem and confidence with their lost teeth and become apprehensive about smiling or talking freely. If you are suffering from any such problem related to tooth loss, make sure to visit a dental implant clinic in Gurgaon.
With recent advancements in science and technology, several alternatives are now available for these people. These options include dental implants, dental bridges, full dentures, and other options.
In this article, we will talk in detail about dental implants. We will discuss all the aspects of dental implants that you need to know if you are looking for an alternative for lost teeth.
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- What is a Dental Implant?
- Type of Dental Implants
- Who needs it?
- Dental Implant Procedure.
- Benefits of Dental Implants
- What does recovery look like?
- Risks and Complications
- Dental Implant Cost in Gurgaon.
1. What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a metallic instrument that is implanted in the jaw bone. An artificial tooth or crown is placed over this implant to replace the lost tooth.
Dental implants can be made from different materials such as stainless steel, titanium, and its alloys, gold, cobalt, and chromium. Nowadays, the material of choice for most dental implants is titanium and its alloys.
Dental implants work on the basis of osseointegration, in which the implants are integrated with the jaw bone. This integration helps provide a base for the artificial tooth to be fixed.
A dental implant typically consists of three parts – the metal implant, the abutment, and the crown.
An abutment is the connecting part between the dental implant and the crown and is usually screwed over the implant. The abutment can also be made up of different materials.
2. Type of Dental Implants
Based on different segregating criteria, dental implants can be of various types.
Depending on the position of dental implants, these can be divided into two groups, which are:
- Endosteal dental implants
- Subperiosteal dental implants
Endosteal dental implants
These are the most common types of dental implants, and the surgeon puts these dental implants deep inside the jaw bone. And they can then support a tooth crown.
Subperiosteal dental implants
Subperiosteal dental implants are used in people who do not have an appropriate height on their jaw bone.
Based on the material that is used to make the dental implant, dental implants can be of various types, such as :
- Stainless steel
- Gold and other precious metals
- Titanium and its alloys
- Zirconium, etc
As mentioned earlier, of all these materials, titanium and zirconium are used most commonly for dental implants.
Type of dental implant that would be used for you depends on many factors like your preference, affordability, your jawbone strength, your particular problem, and more. This is a decision that you and your dentist have to make collectively.
3. Who needs it?
Dental implants are usually needed by people who are missing one or more teeth that are located far from each other. These people should not opt for dental bridges, full dentures, etc., because they do not have many missing teeth.
Dental implants are perfect for people who have missing teeth away from each other. These can be used to replace either one or more missing teeth.
Other criteria that make people eligible for getting a dental implant include the following:
- You should have a completely grown jaw bone.
- Either you should have good jaw bone strength or should be willing to get a bone graft.
- You should not have any health issues like diabetes, which will hinder bone healing.
- You should not be smoking or consuming tobacco products.
It is vital to replace a lost tooth because not doing so can cause many issues later. Dental implants give the patient a healthy bite and prevent the adjacent teeth from moving into space.
They also help in maintaining jaw bone strength and prevent bone deterioration.
4. Dental Implant Procedure
The whole dental implants in Gurgaon procedure is quite time consuming and can take up to several months to get completed.
During your initial visits, you will consult with your dentist and some specialist surgeons according to your specific condition. Your dentist will take a detailed medical history, including your past medical history, smoking habits, or other substance usages. This is also done to reach the cause of the falling teeth, such as trauma, teeth infections, or gum diseases.
Your dentist will also conduct a physical examination checking your overall oral health, how many dental implants are required by you, and the strength and growth of your jaw bone.
You will also be given certain medications like painkillers and antibiotics to help control the pain and infection.
During the procedure, the following steps are followed :
- Removal of the damaged tooth or teeth
- Grafting of the jaw bone (if needed)
- Placement of the dental implant(s)
- Time for jaw bone growth and healing
- Placement of abutment
- Placement of artificial teeth or crowns
The whole procedure is done under local anesthesia so that you will feel minimal to no pain. However, a slight numbness is felt after the procedure, which goes away in about half an hour.
| Also Read: Dental Bridge Vs Dental Implant: What’s The Difference? |
5. Benefits of Dental Implants
Several benefits of dental implants make them the most popular option for replacing lost teeth, such as:
- Dental implants last for a very long time and can be easily used for 15 years or more.
- Dental implants are very versatile and can be used to replace any lost tooth.
- They are very comfortable.
- Dental implants are permanently placed in the jaw and do not require frequent cleaning.
- They help the patient in talking and chewing properly.
- They have a natural-looking appearance for a very long time.
- They improve jaw bone strength.
- Dental implants prevent the adjacent teeth from moving into the space created by lost teeth.
- Dental implants help increase your self-esteem and confidence.
- Dental implants are very safe and do not damage the teeth around them.
Majority people are satisfied with the dental implants before and after the results.
6. What does recovery look like?
The exact recovery process and timeline depend on the procedure done for you – how many implants were placed, bone grafting was done or not, and more such factors.
After the procedure, you may experience some symptoms that are commonly seen with any dental surgery, such as:
- Pain at the operated site
- Swelling of the face and gums
- Bruising of your gums and skin
- Numbness due to the anesthesia
All these symptoms should resolve in a few days. If you experience any worsening of symptoms or these symptoms last more than a few days, consult with your dentist immediately.
Your dentist will also give you some pain medicines like NSAIDs and antibiotics after the surgery to control the pain and reduce the risk of infections. In addition, you will be advised to eat soft food at each stage of your surgery to prevent excess pressure and ensure proper healing.
A dental implant procedure is a lengthy procedure that requires the bone and implants to heal entirely and adequately to get good results. The recovery could be longer if you had bone graft surgery as well.
7. Risks and Complications
Dental implant surgery is a minor surgical procedure, but it does have some risks and complications like any other surgery. However, if done correctly, these risks are rare and can be treated easily, even if they do occur. The risks and complications associated with the dental implant surgery include the following:
- Infection at the surgical site
- Bleeding during the surgical procedure
- Damage to surrounding tissues such as neighboring teeth and gums.
- Damage to blood vessels and nerves. This can cause pain, tingling sensation, or numbness in your gums, lips, or teeth.
- Sensitivity to hot or cold food items
- Sinus problems can occur if your dental implants placed in the upper jaw protrude in the sinuses.
You must choose only the best dentist in Gurgaon for dental implants to avoid any such surgical complications.
8. Dental Implant Cost in Gurgaon
Tooth implant cost in Gurgaon depends on several factors, such as:
- The clinic or hospital you choose to get your surgery in.
- The skill and expertise of the dental surgeon
- The brand of dental implants
- Type of artificial teeth or crown
- The number of implants that need to be placed.
- Whether bone grafting is required or not
- Investigations and medicines costs
Depending on all these factors, tooth implant cost in Gurgaon can range anywhere between INR 35,000 to INR 50,000.